Alternative Learning Experience (ALE)
What Is Alternative Learning?
Alternative education is more of a perspective than a program. It is built upon the beliefs that there are many varied ways to become educated, many types of educational environments, and different structures. Further, alternative education recognizes that everyone can be educated and it is in society's best interest to ensure that all are educated to a general high school education at the mastery level. To accomplish this requires that we provide a variety of strategies and options. Each student can find a "path" that is comfortable to facilitate individual learning and progress.
Alternative Education in the Riverview School District is based upon the following beliefs:
- All students can learn and succeed in a variety of ways.
- Learning is greatest when there are the highest expectations for student achievement.
- Confidence and competency build upon each other to enhance a student's sense of responsibility.
- There are many types of environments and structures for learning to occur.
- Alternative learning environments develop belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity.
- Learning is an active partnership between students, parents, community, and the school.
- Learning is evidenced by students' abilities to share what they know and what they can do.
- Learning is a lifelong process.
Riverview Alternative Programs Statement of Understanding
To learn more about Alternative Learning Experience (ALE) Programs, please visit the following pages on the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction website: